Monday, June 18, 2007

Friendship

As I was walking with friends this weekend I began realizing how different friends have enriched my life.
When I was pregnant with my son, I became friendly with a woman who had two young children. I learned so much from her about infants and mothering, she supported me when I was anxious and helped me laugh and enjoy my baby. I also was friends with a woman who had a son the same age as mine. We shared experiences, fears and fun throughout their growing up. They are both adults now and out on their own but we still remain friends who have an invaluable shared history. Early in my career I became friendly with one of my supervisors. I learned a great deal from her professionally and over the years we have become friends. I can confide in her and know she will be kind and helpful. I have also become friends with a younger woman who is single and focussed on her career. She is also always trying something new-a few months ago she started taking classical guitar lesson. She was instrumental in helping me get back to my painting.
Sometimes I don't seem to have any time for friends but when I think of all the joy they bring me I know I have to find the time. Are your friends important? Make time for them.